A number of homeowners consider spring and summer as the perfect seasons to maintain their garden and lawn. However, landscaping experts have found that proper prepping and other fall projects lead to lusher spring landscaping. Below are some details on fall projects you can do to prepare your landscaping for the spring:
• Apply chemicals to stop the growth of winter weeds in the flower beds. Trim your shrubs and you can also add seasonal color by planting chrysanthemums or pansies in the fall.
• If there are perennials in the yard, now is the time to cut them back. Plants like daylilies can also be divided at this time.
• Add some type of organic compost to the landscape. Following this, you can add about 2 inches of mulch or pine straw.
• Fall is also the best time to plant shrubs and trees. At this time of the year, the strongest hydrocarbons are present in the soil and this makes the roots grow to their strongest potential.
• It is very important for your spring bulbs to be planted in the fall. To emerge beautifully in the spring, they require the cold of the winter as the weather change. The colder the season, the better it is for the spring bulbs.
Any grass growing in your yard should be cleaned up during the fall. Any debris that remains and covers the turf will compact and suffocate the grass and compact the soil. When it starts to warm up, the grass will have difficulty growing in the compacted soil.